OK. I'm obsessed. With Instagram, that is. For those of you who have a smartphone iPhone or Android... and aren't on it, shame on you! Even if you are not a photographer, this free app allows you to take amazing, breathtaking, professional-looking photos. It's opened a whole new world to me, as I document the beauty and precious moments around me. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and there's no place where this is truer than Instagram. I've "met" IG users around the world, who offer me a glimpse of life in places I can only dream of going. If you're already on there, find me and follow me under @tvnewsmom.
I've been thinking about what to get for my son's 3rd birthday. And I realized over the past year, I've been snapping countless photos of him and his sister and posting them to IG... occasionally to Facebook and Twitter... but hadn't printed anything out. Of course this is common among us 21st century snap-happy smartphone users... where our memories are stores digitally. But I just see it as allowing us to pick and choose the best... instead of having to waste time and money on printing a whole roll of film just for one frameable print. These are a few of my favorites, but I had no idea where to start when it came to putting these on paper or canvas. I'd love to create a wall of these... alongside his baby pictures (which sadly, are the last time I really had anything of him printed and framed).
I stumbled upon a great guide... so that's why I am sharing this article originally published in Geek Sugar by Kelly Schwarze. So print away!
Instagram is the easy way of creating dreamy iPhone photos in a flash. The filters work their magic so well that nearly every picture comes out looking like a keepsake. Making those memories permanent can be just as easy with these tools for turning Instagram photos into a lasting work of art.
- PostalPix — Use this iPhone app to print four-inch squares from your Instagram library for only 30 cents each. Fast shipping, matte finish, professional quality resolution, and the convenience of mobile shopping make this our first stop for Instagram prints. They even sell just-right square 4-inch wooden frames.
- CanvasPop — Those filtered photos are worthy of an at-home gallery. Create a high-resolution 12-inch square or 20-inch square stretched canvas print for the temporary price of $30 and $60, respectively. Buy multiple canvases for an artful wall vignette.
- Printstagram — The company offers multiple ways to print Instagram photos, but the 20-by-40-inch posters will make the most stunning addition to a living room wall. Between 50-400 photos are arranged in a clean grid on thick, archival paper for $25.
- Blurb — Haven't looked at a photo album in a while? Blurb brings back what now seems like an antiquated way of sharing photos with a modern, Instagram twist. Softcover books with 20 pages of Instagram photos runs $11 and a hardcover is $22. Christmas present, perhaps?
- Postagram — A fun way to show people you're thinking of them, Postagram mails a postcard with popout Instagram photo and message to friends for 99 cents each. A thoughtful alternative to a birthday e-card!
- Instagoodies — Print books of one-inch stickers of your favorite Instagram photos. Attach stickers to the computer monitor, phone case, or wallet for a quick flash of happiness.
- Boo Box — For photos worthy of the mantlepiece go for the Boo Box, which places four-inch Instagram photos in bamboo shadowbox frames beginning at $20.
- Stickygram — Take a cue from your mom and turn your refrigerator into bragging grounds for your works of art. For $15, Stickygram makes a set of nine photo magnets from your favorite images.
- TeenyTile — As the name implies, TeenyTile crafts two-inch tiles from your Instagram pics for sticking on your fridge (thanks to the included adhesive magnet), or whatever you choose to create with them. Each tile is priced at $4.
- Artflakes — Images get sticky with this company that takes your regular ol' Instagram pics and whips them into vinyl four-inch stickers. Buy them up in packs of 10 ($21), 25 ($42), or 50 ($63)
- Casetagram — Create a custom iPhone 4/4S case with this company that prints your Instagram on a slim-fitting shell. You can customize how your pics are arranged, then Casetagram prints them on a white or transparent case for just $35.