I just downloaded the free version (the ad-free version costs $1.99) and it works pretty simply. The home screen says "Touch to Compare." And after a few seconds, the analysis appears:
CNN Money explains why this app is such a novel, great tool for consumers:
"iPhone carriers Verizon, AT&T and Sprint have successfully kept that information out of the public's view -- until now.
Carriers rigorously test their networks and their rivals' networks, hiring third-party surveyors to perform comparisons. However, those surveys are almost always performed under non-disclosure agreements.
But that still doesn't give users the kind of precise detail that CarrierCompare provides -- and the carriers certainly don't offer up direct, pinpoint comparisons against the competition."Here are a few other free, consumer-friendly apps that TVNewsMom recommends to help you shop around, save money, and budget... all through your iPhone.
1. Mint.com brings all your financial accounts together online or on your mobile device,
automatically categorizes your transactions, lets you set budgets and helps you achieve your savings goals.
2. The Find is featured in all the major business and consumer publications as the must-have app when comparison shopping on the web, or at the mall. Scan barcodes. Find the best price. Search for deals. Save money. Create a shopping list. The perfect on-the-go shopping companion.
3. Gas Buddy finds the cheapest gas on the go for free.
It relies on its community of users to report and update gas prices. You can locate gas stations near you and see their current gas prices.
4. Coupon Sherpa provides hundreds of in-store coupons for many merchants right on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Save money on clothing, shoes, restaurants, electronics, travel, jewelry, sporting goods, books and more. I make sure to check this app right before I get to the cash register while I'm in the checkout line.
5. Kayak is the most popular travel app for a
reason. The app includes flight and car search, hotel search and booking, and Flight Tracker and My Trips, so you can easily manage your itinerary.